VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2012

From:
Janice Friel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:23:45 -0400
Hi Bill

I have not proved the parents of James Atkins who married Elizabeth Smith. I know there are alot of people who may have, but I have to find the proof for myself before I believe anything.

I do keep notes on all ancestors, even if I'm not sure if they are connected to my perticular relative. I find that later I can find connections, so it is good to keep all information on the given name.

Here is the notes I have on James Atkins who married Elizabeth. I also including correspondence with other researchers.

In Orange Co., Va. census 1782, James Atkins and James Atkins, Jr. are listed on page 40.
Deed Abstract of Orange County, Va. 1759-1778
p. 223 On margin. "Delived Nov 1763"
25 March 1762 between Andrew Shepherd and James Adkins and ELIZABETH, his wife..... for L 105.3.3. 1/2..James Adkins and ELIZABETH, his wife, hath sold 100 acres wherein now lives, and left by wil lfrom the decd EDWARD SMITH to his daughter, ELIZABETH..... also one black horse.... 10 head of cattle... shoemakers tools... Provided if James Adkins shall pay the sum of L 105.3.3 1/2 before 1st March 1764, with interest... to be void...
James (X) Adkins
Elizabeth (X) Adkins
Recorded Orange County 25th March 1762
Hi again, Janice. Do you have more info on the children of Eliabeth
Smith and James Atkins b. abt. 1730:
James, Jr., Ambrose b.1754 and Edward b. 1756. The last was mentioned
in notes from Winola Bell Horn, but not in yours on Descendants of
Roger Bell. James Jr. and Ambrose are listed as individuals 73 and 74
in your Roger Bell register. Could the 1782 Orange County census
listing James and James Jr. be referring to the grandfather and father
of Ambrose and Edward, both of whom would have been married and out the
door by 1782? This would be consistent with the deed book information
showing a James Atkins (Sr.)(?) doing land transactions by 1724 and
1727 (as per below and my earlier email to you), since the younger
James was not born until around 1730. Did you say you had a copy of a
will for James Atkins or Edward Smith Sr. or Jr.?
James Atkins Aug. 11, 1727 Spotsylvania Co., Va., planter 100 acres in
St.
George's Parish to William Hansford. Sarah Atkins, wife of James
Atkins,
released her dower right to the above property.
There's a will for a James Atkins in Essex Co., Va. 1744
There is a James Atkins, Sr. owned land, 32 acres in Henrico Co
Also, In Vol I. "Families of Orange Co. VA" by W.E. Brockman, p 33b
there is the following note:
"James Atkins, father of John, was in Essex by 1736, wife Elizabeth
Smith, dau. of
Edward Smith and wife mary Bell"
Does this suggest that this James (the elder) is the father (or uncle)
of the John Atkins who married Susannah Brockman?
The notes you sent to me are wonderful.
Douglas