VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2000

From:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:09:05 -0800
I'm looking for information on the family of Joseph RADCLIFFE of
Georgetown, DC, in the mid-19th century. He had two daughters, Mary
and Fannie A., who married two YERBY brothers.

Thanks to the redoubtable Wes Pippenger, I know that Albert F. Yerby
was issued a license in D.C. to marry Fannie A. Radcliffe, in
1849. They were married in Georgetown on 20 Feb 1849.  She died in
Washington at the residence of her father, Joseph Radcliffe, on 16 May
1850, in the 18th year of her age.

Adonis L. Yerby was m. 7 Apr 1851 in Georgetown to Mary S. Radcliffe,
another daughter of Joseph.

Can anyone explain why "Senator Radcliff" was written beside Mary's
name in a letter from about 60 years ago? Was Joseph ever a senator?
If so, was he a US or a state senator?

Does anyone know his wife's name or when he died?

Kathleen Much