VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 14:45:01 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  CERTIFICATE IN CASE OF MARRIAGE
                           --------------
 I hereby certify that on the 21st day of Oct 1852 Lewis Dempsey of
 Pike County and State of KY, 38 years old, born at Virginia was
 married to Nancy Step of Pike County KY, aged 23 years, born in
 Kentucky, and then single, by ______(Blank)_______.
 Dated this 23rd of Oct 1852.  Adron Runyon JPPC
 Transcribed by Russell L. Lawrence   [log in to unmask] >>

Russell, Stepp/Stapp Researchers:

According to information at a Stepp/Stapp Family Web site, the Nancy Step
above is a descendant of Abraham Stapp of Old Rappahannock & Essex Counties,
who dl 1714, and wife Dorothy Moss.

Descendancy is through son Joshua and wife Martha COFFEE, who moved to Orange
Co VA. ; then son John Sr & wife Ann SALMON, d. Culpepper Co VA; the son
James who moved from Culpepper to Madison Co KY, , and wife Lucy GOLSTON,
then son Moses, who married Sally JACKSON,, then son Thomas who married Nancy
DAVIS, parents of Nancy who married the above Lewis Dempsey.

This specific family tree can be found here:
http://www.ydg.com/stepp/geneology/2_abe_frameset.html

The Home Page, with links to interesting information is here:
http://www.ydg.com/stepp/intro/index.html

My interest in them is two fold.  First the Thomas Cooper of Essex Co who was
a neighbor is a candidate for being an ancestor of my own Thomas Cooper of
Albemarle/Bedford 1750s..  Second, in Dade Co MO ca. 1900, one of my great
uncles Presley Patterson MARSH (uncle Pat) married a descendant of this clan,
daughter of Isaac Burton Stepp (and yes I'd like to someday figure out both
the Presley & Patterson connection, as they stem from two sets of ggg
grandparents who I've not taken back very far at all.)

However, I am NOT a knowledgeable Stepp/Stapp researcher, but hope if Russell
piqued anyone's interest this helps.

Best REgards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter