VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2003

From:
Steve and Yvonne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve and Yvonne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:09:51 -0500
It was brought to our attention that an individual was listed in the 1789 B tax list and in the 1789 C tax list. We were ask what the diference is between the B and C tax lists. In this particular case we believe that a mistake has been made and the C tax list is not really a C tax list for 1789.

We have compared several portions of the B and C tax list and find at least 75% of the individuals are listed in both lists. If B and C tax lists were legitimate tax lists for different districts there would not be such a vast amount of common names. Further cause of suspicion is the Family History Library notes for Halifax as "Halifax County kept one list of taxpayers from 1782-1786, from 1787 to 1850 they kept two." Therefore the C tax list is in error.

What we think is that the C tax list was microfilmed out of sequence and is really a different year, perphaps a later year. There are more names and pages in the C list when compared to the B list. We have decided to remove the C tax list from our web site. We will investigate this matter next week.

We sincerely apologize for the error that has been made. We strive for accuracy and this is not what we expect from ourselves.

Steve and Bunny
"1790" / "1800" County Tax Lists of Virginia
Reconstructed 1790 and 1800 Virginia Censuses
---------
Subscribe to BINNS-L surname email list:
mailto:[log in to unmask]&body=subscribe

American Binns Families and Individuals:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~ysbinns/americanb/index.htm

"1790" / "1800" County Tax Lists of Virginia:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~ysbinns/vataxlists/index.htm
---------