VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2002

From:
Ann Avery Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:41:00 -0500
The Richmond Dispatch of Dec. 6, 1901 carried a news item on the
death of Richard R. TURNER of Ferguson's Wharf, Isle of Wight Co. It stated
in part:

> Deceased was a brother of Beverly Turner, who was killed by Gilligan, and an uncle of Miss Isabel Turner. The trial, which was one of the most sensational in the Virginia courts, was held here in the early summer of 1900, and resulted in Gilligan’s
> being sentenced to the penitentiary for a term of years.
>
> According to the Dispatch’s information the deceased was the commandant of Libby Prison during the war.

Does anyone know the particulars of this sensational trial? In the 1900
census for Isle of Wight Co., an A. C. Gilligan, white male, age 26, was
enumerated as a prisoner in the County Jail.

I'd also be interested to know if the information in the article was
correct and the deceased Richard R. TURNER was the "Dick" TURNER who
commanded Libby Prison.

Ann
--
Ann Avery Hunter