VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 06:48:36 -0700
 Steve and Bunny,

Are there really no standards for abbreviated names in  indexes?  If you
regularly use the three-column system, that might be acceptable, but unless
you are taking great pains to explain your guesswork, it seems you would
confuse the beginner rather than provide help.  And what search engine are
you talking about?  Google and ancestry.com both offer help for abbreviated
names.  I'm sorry, but when I see your work in the future, I'll be making a
mental note that it is not entirely reliable.

Thos. Gilmore

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Yvonne and Steve <