VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

From:
Scott Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:11:04 -0800
Can anyone tell me, please, why both a man and his widow would appear
in the personal-property tax list for the same county, in the year of
the man's death?  Was this normal?  In case it matters, the year
involved is 1811, and the location is Nelson Co., Virginia.

Many thanks to those who have responded to my two recent postings.  For
anyone who may be interested, I do not intend to rely solely on others'
experiences with death registers to establish connections.  My question
on that subject was an attempt to find an explanation for one of many
oddities in a very strange situation.  Feel free to read about the
situation at http://va.genealogy.tripod.com/martin.htm

Thank you.

Scott Simpson