VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

From:
Mary Morten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Morten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:43:01 -0400
My GGrandmother Martha Hundley was listed in the household of her husband. In the same census, she was listed in the household of her father-in-law. In those days the census taker must have listed everybody in the house at the time census was taken. Both Marthas were the same age. Now lots of people think John Hundley(father-in-law) had two daus. named Martha. I think my grandmother was visiting John Hundley when the census man came to his house.
The funniest census report I ever saw was one in which a member of the family was listed as loafer.
Mary E. Morten