VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2006

From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Scott Smith
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:26:40 -0500
Hello,

I'm working on researching some property in Amherst County, and need help
interpreting a particular transaction.

Can anyone explain why heirs of an estate would use a Land Office Treasury
Warrant issued to a third party for 1,000 acres to purchase/obtain 765 acres
of the decedent's estate? The decedent bought and/or patented at least 595
acres of this land 40-50 years before the above LOTW transaction, and he
left said land to his heirs in his will.

My impression was that LOTWs were generally used to acquire unoccupied land,
that the state or colony had claim to. Is it also true that they could be
used like a check to purchase land from a private citizen? If so, I would
assume that the state would have to shell out hard currency (a "hard cost")
rather than absorb the "soft cost" of giving away land that it already
owned.

Thoughts?

Scott Smith
Lynchburg