VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2011

Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:08:06 -0700
This is some of my family history from Westmoreland County. This line of my family served indentures for several generations.

One of my ancestors, Mary Monroe (b. 1710), was indentured at birth in Westmoreland County. Her mother was a white woman, (Lydia Hilliard), and her father an unknown Negro man. Lydia Hilliard was serving an indenture to William Monroe Senior, at the time she bore her child. Mary Monroe had a daughter, (Mary Bowden,b. 1730), by William Monroe Junior, who was not indentured until she was seven years old. Mary Bowden was indentured to George Washington's family in 1737, and had a daughter named Patty Bowden, while she was under indenture to the Washington family. Patty was immediately indentured to the Washington family. The last of the Indentures in this line was Patty's daughter Delphia, who was indentured to Alexander Spotswood at birth. Patty also had another daughter, Ann Webb who was indentured out at birth.

Anita Wills

Mary and Patty Bowden Foundation

Anita Talks Genealogy - Blog Talk Radio

"If you believe people have no history worth mentioning, it's easy to believe they have no humanity worth defending."
— William Loren Katz
June 18, 2009