VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:19:10 -0600
Eric,

Although this isn't very funny having your ancestors name spelled wrong on
his own tombstone I had to chuckle a bit.  Sometimes the "Informer" for a
dead person can build a terrible brick wall for us all.  For instance on my
Grandmother Buford's death certificate my uncle put her name as Mayme Louise
Peterson.  As that was just about my starting point for my research on my
paternal side so many. many years ago it sure threw me a pretty wide curve
as her name was "Maria Louisa" PetersEn.  I didn't find out her "real name"
until three years later when I was doing research at the Historical Library
in Lincoln, Nebraska and actually stumbled onto her marriage certificate.  I
stood there looking at the certificate incredulously thinking some very
unkind words about my dear uncle.  I would definitely label him as one of
O'Reilly's "PINHEADS"

Hope everyone is having a great summer... fern
www.bufordfamilies.com