VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:31:03 -0500
This is an follow-on addition to the earlier message regarding NGSQ. To
clarify why NGS was not involved in the writing about the study. Elizabeth
Shawn Mills, being an influential well known genealogist, was invited by me to
be a member of an investigation into the Jefferson-Hemings DNA Study early on.
She refuseds by pleading "lack of time." What better time for her to jump on
the story THEN. Why did she LATER decide to "get the time" to publish a whole
special issue.

In her last message here she said I was confused and failed to "connect dots"
about the major changes at NGS and said it was Gary's death that made changes
necessary. Let us now connect more dots here and reveal to the reader the real
truth of the NGS changes in their own words in a NGS Press Release dated,
January 15, 2004, Upheaval at the National Genealogical Society. By now you
may have heard that the National Geealogical Society has been going through
some major organizational changes. In December 2003, after terminating the
Executive Director, Wendy Herr, and accepting the resignations of President
Curt Witcher, Secretary Amy Johnson Crow, and Treasurer Stephen Kyner, the
remaining NGS board members elected new officers and formed new committees.
So, what is REALLY (my caps), going on?

An earlier report dated January 12, 2004 had reported not only the changes
reported above but: It is important that everyone know these actions are not
taken lightly. Since many of the readers to this VA-Roots are professional and
amateur genealogists, let us continue with this story. At the mid-November
board meeting financial statements were not shared with the whole board. Then
during the last week of November, 2003, the board discovered for the first
time that, over a period of less than four months, NGS's investments had been
depleted from nearly $500,000 to approximately $50,000. An audit was
immediately launched. The article continues on.....once the board confirmed
that expendatures were much greater than revenues and the NGS reserves had
been spent to compensate, we had no choice. What we found confirms that there
was excessive spending well beyond what had been revealed to the board. Wonder
if the elaborate "special issue of NGSQ" could have contributed to any of
this? Like famous reporter and comentator, Paul Harvey, says........"here is
the rest of the story" and from NGS itself.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian