VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2009

Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 22:51:00 -0400
Anita -

Have you looked in The Congressional Records? There should be something there if they appeared before the Senate - some congressman had to support their case.

Although I have just been 'told off' in an incredibly rude manner from a member of this board, for asking my congressman's aide to research if the heirs were ever paid (she offered), this is also an option. Why should they not work for those of us who vote for them and pay their salary? Plus, most have many aides, some college students, and some paid.
That is the best I have to offer - but I cannot put into words the pride I felt when the marker was laid for Captain William York - I cried! ... and the tip to Google the names came from another board... and I will be eternally grateful since I had done just that sometime ago, however new records are being added daily.

If I can assist you in any other matter, just ask... was he a Virginia soldier?
Diane S

  Diane,
  I have the same issue with my Revolutionary War Ancestor. His heirs were applying for his pension as late as the 1850's. I do not believe they were awarded a pension for him. He served as a Seamen, and as a Foot Soldier in the Revolutionary War. His service as a Seamen was recognized, but when he died he had petition for recognition as a soldier at the Battle of Camden SC. He and his brother appeared before the Senate, and his brother was successful. So I am continuing to gather documents about his service.

  Anita