VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2018

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2018 17:20:16 +0000
EXPLORE RELIC

October 2018 - The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)

Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history is our specialty as a service provided by the Prince William Public Library. We're located at Bull Run Regional Library and you can always find more about us at www.pwcgov.org/library/relic<http://www.pwcgov.org/library/relic>

Cemeteries: Where to Get the Answers
Learn how to locate death, funeral, and burial records, and what information they can add to your family history.  Presented by genealogist Russell De Rose.
Register at 703.792.4540 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Thursday, October 11, 2018, 11 a.m.

Water Water Everywhere - And How We Found Drops to Drink
Historian Charlie Grymes presents the story of how local governments in Northern Virginia responded to the demand for safe drinking water for the growing population of our region.
Register at 703.792.4540 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 7 p.m.

=========================

RELIC INSIDER:

OTHER HISTORY NEWS

RELIC is cosponsoring a program to be presented by Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI) on Wednesday, October 17, at 7 p.m., at Bull Run Library.  The author Michael Giorgione will be talking about his latest work, Inside Camp David: the Private World of the Presidential Retreat.  The program is free and registration is not required.  "Camp David is American diplomacy's secret weapon ... the camp has played a vital role in American history over the past century ... at Camp David, we finally get to see these leaders at their most vulnerable, their most unguarded, and as their most true selves."

Saturday, October 27, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.  Genealogy Fair at Montclair Community Library, 5049 Waterway Drive, Montclair, Virginia.  RELIC will be represented along with other local genealogical organizations.  Come and learn what we have to offer the researcher.

The Prince William County Historic Preservation Division has recently published its electronic newsletter Historic Perspectives (Fall 2018), which includes articles about

*         The Doeg Indians in northern Virginia,

*         Hampton's Legion Artillery at the Battle of Freestone Point (Sept. 1861),

*         How recent rain damage at the Brentsville Courthouse provided an opportunity to see more of the building's structure, and

*         An analysis of the courthouse Bible and early representations of the County seal.

You can read those articles, and see earlier issues of the newsletter, as well as learn about events offered at each Historic Site. http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/publicworks/hp/Pages/Historic-Perspectives.aspx

==========

NEXT MONTH

Elections in Prince William County
Prince William County has been involved with elections for over two hundred years.  Kim Brace, a statistician and historian, will describe how elections have evolved over time in our local jurisdiction.
Register at 703.792.4540 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Thursday, November 1, 2018, 11 a.m.

Genealogy 101: Getting Started
Discovering your family's history is both fun and rewarding.  RELIC's Darlene Hunter will demonstrate the essential first steps to take, and resources to use - most of which are available for free through the library - to ensure that your research is accurate, complete and well documented.
Register at 703.792.4540 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 7 p.m.

To read the latest lists of new materials available please click on What's New in RELIC http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-news.aspx

Unless otherwise stated, all of the preceding programs will take place at Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, Virginia.  Programs may last from 60 to 90 minutes.  You may register for any of these free programs at 703-792-4540 or mail to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

You may also register online at RELIC Programs http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-programs.aspx