VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2005

From:
Jyl Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jyl Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:18:02 -0600
In the Cumberland County Virginia Court Order Book for 1774, I found an
orphan who came "into Court and made choice of " an individual "to be
his master".  The Court ordered the Church Wardens of Southam Praish to
bind the orphan to the individual he had chosen.  A later entry that
same year ordered the Church Wardens to bind the orphan "according to
law."  Is this similiar to an orphan chosing his own guardian at age 14
or older?  Would this indicate that an orphan chosing his master was at
least 14 years old?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Jyl Hardy