VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2015

From:
"K.Holland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:10:48 +0000
I have been a part of this List for easily 20 years; I spent a lot of time in my 20s sitting in the Library itself. I gained a lot of information on my family there.
Now, I have limited access to records due to distance but am brickwalled with a couple of lines. I find myself spinning wheels with online research; I am usually brought back to my own!  I could use some suggestions, especially if the resources can be found online. This weather is rough.
Nicholas Marshal Tarrall born Mar 10, 1810 presumably in Virginia, married 1834 (based on the ages of the children) to Ann F; indications are he came from Mathews Co into Norfolk where he died Dec 19, 1852 (newspaper obit cites funeral out of Christ Church). He is buried on the Fernandez plot in Cedar Grove (one L in the last name); Fernandez has quite a long history in Norfolk. The only FIRM connection I have to that family is NMT's granddaughter Virginia married Joseph & Nancy Manning Fernandez's grandson (son of Adelia) James Belote. I have always thought that Ann F was a Fernandez but I cannot make that source-connection. I have several census records where the last name flips from Terral to Tarrall to Tyrrell. Their children were: Mary B b1835 Norfolk who married Thomas Jacob Nottingham of Northampton, Henry Alberti b1836 unk location (my great-great grandfather who married Sarah Taylor), Secluseval b1840Mathews who married James Bryan(t) of Richmond and Sarah Virginia b1843 who died 1850 as a child (obit announcements in Baltimore newspapers - no idea why, except that Joseph Fernandez was "from" there).
There is in the 1810 Mathews Co census a Nicholas and a James Terril. In the Kingston Parish records a Susanna Foster marries a Nicholas Tyrrell 1773 and then listed are all 4 children including James b1775, Mary b1774 and Nicholas b1777, with surname Tyrrel but the last one, Margaret, is Terrell b1781; the ages seem to indicate the right people but no definitive source-connection between Nicholas Marshall Tarrall and Nicholas Tyrrell beyond common sense and wishful thinking on my part. It certainly doesn't help that I am told Mathews Co records were burned.
Anyway, Nicholas & Ann seem to move up and down the peninsula between Norfolk and Mathews based on children's recorded places of birth. He was the plasterer on the old City Hall which is now the site of the MacArthur Center.
And, that's all I know. Any suggestions any of you might have as to online records, genealogies etc would be greatly appreciated. I do live near a FHC and the DAR Library, a place which totally confuses me at times.
Thanking you in advance,
Katie HollandSilver Spring, MD (formerly of Va Beach, VA)