VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2003

From:
nel hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
nel hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:24:34 -0500
Website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
List Admin: Hatcher email list
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
HATCHER DNA Project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
"Genealogy Without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

Scott,

As a user of Worldconnect with 7 files on their site submitted as soon as
the software was completed, I will say that, of course, Ancestry/Rootsweb
encourages you to submit your files, but you state "and to increase the
number of names in the gedcoms."  Ancestry/Rootsweb has never suggested you
"increase names."

You also state that "this person" had very detailed info on your family,
including your wife's maiden name. I don't know how you can determine this
since, to my knowledge, ONLY the word "Living" and the surname appears
online - no first name, no dates, no places. She may or may not have a lot
of info on your family on her own file, but this info cannot appear online.
Since it doesn't appear online, and she has not responded to you, I'm not
sure how you know what she does and does not have.

And the submitter did not use "Living." She had no choice since this was a
decision made by Rootsweb after multitudes of complaints from living people
whose names, dates, and places were found online without their permission.
Personal information on living people will no longer be found on anyone's
file on Worldconnect.

Ancestry also does not sell information found on Worldconnect.

Nel