VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2012

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:50:57 -0400
Very helpful !
THANKS !

In a message dated 7/14/2012 3:44:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Back in  2006 I asked a similar question on the LVA History list.  Lo and
behold,  my question and the responses are still there.  I have copied and
pasted  them below.  Why my computer switches the fonts back and forth I don't
 know, but the substance remains.
This was my question:
What is (or was)  a Homestead Deed in the late 19th century in Virginia?  I
find several  documents re my ancestors that are filed in connection with
Homestead  Deeds.  When I google it, I get bankruptcy information.
Although it's  possible, I doubt that these folks were filing for
bankruptcy.  Thanks  for any help.  --Sally Phillips
This is from Donald W.  Moore:
Actually they were protecting their assets from bankruptcy. The
Virginia constitution was re-written after the Civil War in the
1870s. I don't have the exact date handy at the moment (1873?). One
of the clauses of that constitution made it legal for Virginians to
declare certain assets exempt from bankruptcy proceedings. You can
imagine that this came in handy during Reconstruction when many
people faced economic difficulties. Consequently, you will find
"homestead" deeds with extensive lists of real and personal  property.
The "grantor" of such a deed, if we can use that term, is  really
exempting that property from his creditors. I have a  "homestead" deed
for one of my ancestors that I believe was recorded  in 1874.
This is from Eric Grundset:

Don is quite correct in stating  that Homestead deeds in that period in
Virginia were related to bankruptcy  filings. If the deeds in question are from
the late 1860s or early 1870s, than  this is the most likely explanation.
Many tens of thousands of people  nation-wide declared bankruptcy after the
Civil War or were forced into it by  their creditors. Only during periods
during which a federal bankruptcy law was  in effect was bankruptcy handled by
federal courts. Otherwise it would have  been in local/state courts
depending on the period. Virginia was readmitted to  the Union in 1870 with a new
constitution. The federal bankruptcy act of 1867  was still in effect and
remained so into the mid-1870s. State governments  could set what the exemptions
were, allowing people to protect their  homesteads under the federal law.
It is not the same thing as homesteading in  the western states. All of the
records for cases under the 1867 act for  Virginia and West Virginia
(+PA, MD, and DE)are at the National Archives  regional facility in
Philadelphia. I've used them there several times. One  needs to know the county of
residence to determine which U. S. District Court  (Eastern or Western
Division of Virginia) and which "division," i.e. city  where the court met
(Richmond, Alexandria, Norfolk, etc, in the Eastern  Division; Lynchburg,
Harrisonburg, Abingdon, etc. in the Western Division) to  find a case. There were
some boundary divisions between the districts that  complicate this all some,
and Virginia had one District Court from 1865-1871,  than Eastern and
Western. The cases are all indexed alphabetically, but by the  district and the
city. Once a name is found, a case file number is next to it  in the index,
and this will lead to the actual papers relating to the case.  The case files
can be quite thick and full of very useful information  including names of
creditors (including relatives), property schedules, on and  on. I
give a lecture on this topic, but I haven't brushed up on the details  for
a few years. Suffice it to say, that an inquiry to the Philadelphia branch
of the National Archives (not the main archives facilities in the Washington
 area) would help one find out how to get a copy of a case file: National
Archives, Mid-Atlantic Branch
(Center City Philadelphia)
900 Market  Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
19107-4292
This is from Jane  Steele:
Hello to All:  We have to remember that people in the southern  part of the
United States were devastated mentally and emotionally after  going through
one of the most economically and morally draining conflicts  that America
(at that time) faced.  With the exception of slavery  being ended ( and it
was on it's way to being ended thanks to the thousands  of people of all
races, colors and backgrounds who were living in both the  North and the
South via their brave involvement in the Underground  Railroad) nobody
really won anything.  This is the true face of war  and it's impact was
devastating for many people on both sides for decades  to come. I am saying
all of this because money and credit have always and  always
will run everything un till we really accept these two items for  what they
really  are and to use them wisely.  Yes it is  disappointing and sad to
find out something about an ancestor of ours/yours  that is unpleasant.
Things like the Civil War, which  bankrupted  former plantation owners and
farmers (who once held their heads high,sent  their children to the best
academies,finishing schools and military  academies) and destroyed lives on
both sides resulted in a type of   shame, violence and sadness that only
lifted with  the building  of  new business and industry in the South along
with the leadership  of some of the best leaders of color that this country
has ever had the  privilege of allowing to assist in the coming about of the
"New South": the  Rev. M. L. King,Jr., former Virginia Governor and current
Richmond Mayor  Doug lass Wilder and the late Oliver Hill who was the  first
African-American to sit on the Richmond(Va) City Council in the early
1950s.   Some feelings and emotions are hard to forget and to turn  off.  A lot
of
people got hurt,abused and died for many causes and  laws that we take for
granted today that allow us to be able to vote,run  for office,get good
health care(we really need to work on this one!) as  well as careers that
many of these people never thought of much less  dreamed of.  In closing I
would like to quote the late AME Zion Bishop  William Jacob Walls: "Heritage
To Be Kept Must Be Earned.   Add  To It Until You Establish Your Claim".
Jane Steele,MA.