VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2004

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:05:27 -0700
Paul,

Your timing for this subject is excellent.   It's
unfortunate that the more people involved with genealogy
online,  the more common it is to run into wannabe
genealogists who either find it necessary to cheat --I
suspect, don't know how to research--  are simply lazy, or
are so arrogant they assume anything published is theirs.

The best example I've run into lately of a "successful"
copy-copy-wannabe has to do with my Virginia Grandmother.
While checking out the website of a well-known genealogist,
I came across some familiar words:

 "The following data is based in part on the genealogy notes
of my grandmother,  Julia Humes Bilyeu. "

Yep, you guessed it.  That's MY grandmother, and her only
other grandchildren are not into genealogy.  It is
interesting that the webmaster of the site has a copyright
statement prominently displayed; one which does not include
the invitation for others to freely use the material for
family research that many of us include on our own  pages.

What can I do about it?  Laugh . . .  and never again refer
anyone to that researcher.

Joanne