VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2011

From:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 00:20:11 -0500
Spent some time this evening looking for Margaret Shaw.
She was found in the Virginia Genealogical Society Journal, Vols. 18 and 19
in entries submitted by Ben Weigsinger(sp?)
The vestry of Westopher were not kind to her. After giving her one more year
to serve on her
indenture, the vestry reported that after her indenture was ended, she would
have to pay
15pds to the vestry or they would sell her for a period of 5 years. The 15pd
fine was a fortune.

These hearing were held after the decease of John Hardyman (senior) and she
was then
indentured to his heir John Hardyman (junior))

The estate was administered by John the son. The estate included many
slaves. The inventory exists and an analysis of it may name Margaret and her
child.

Searching the patents on-line at the LVA website did not bring up a patent
for John Hardyman
in the late 1600-1712 at which time he was deceased. I had hoped that one
would show up with Margaret Shaw as a person he transported.

There is much on line regarding John Hardyman and his family. Perhaps one of
the Hardyman
researchers have documents that they would be willing to share with you.

Again, good luck in your research.
Poldi

--

"She is insane, of course. The family history has become a mania for her."
Hercule Poirot

http://www.FrontPorchRockerNews.blogspot.com

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Langford
This project includes Lankford spelling also.

"Truth and reason are eternal. They have prevailed. And they will
eternally prevail; however, in times and places they may be overborne
for a while by violence, military, civil, or ecclesiastical."
--Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson, 1810