VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2009

Date:
Mon, 25 May 2009 07:54:59 -0400
First, I want to thank those who have given me feed-back about my Glossary
of Colonial Terms.

I have been asked "off list" what I intended to do with this Glossary - I
will share that with you now.

About 10 months ago there were several days of discussion about the
misinformation which is

occasionally found on genealogy websites. We have several examples of that
with regard to Thomas Mylam's

family first found in Orange County in January 1737/38. The most egregious
is the name of his wife usually

presented as: "Mary Rush 'Adams' believed to be a relative of John Adams of
Boston". Full stop!

There is absolutely no history of Mary beyond that belief. Mylams are thus
deprived of knowing who she

really was and the very interesting history of her family. As you can
understand, most readers however come

away feeling quite satisfied that they might be related to John Adams.

With the aid of Robert Vernon [1] of Charlottesville who assembled the
earliest survey plats along the

Robinson River, we have put together convincing evidence that Thomas Mylam
married Mary Rush,

daughter of William Rush IV (originally of Westmoreland County), who owned
land very near Mylam's.

The question for me became how to disseminate this information and make the
case when there are so

many "genealogies" on the internet with what I believe is  incorrect
information??

I decided  to research and design my own Website to correct what I perceive
as errors:

http://www.milaminvirginia.com/rush_family.html

The Glossary of Colonial Terms is useful to my Website design because I can
create links to these uncommon

words on a Glossary page where the reader has immediate access to a
definition. All the reader needs to do

is "click" on a the colonial term in bold type font and he will be taken to
the word's location on the Glossary page.

Because of this design construct, I can freely quote 18th century court
records and have no need to explain the definition of

these colonial terms within the written text.  This Website also has a
Citations page where the records, books and

articles that I site are documented.

My Website has only been on the internet for 6 weeks so please feel free to
provide me feed-back. Currently,

there is much more about the Rush family of Westmoreland County than about
Milams. I have a long way to go!

[1] Robert Vernon, "How Land Was Granted in Colonial Virginia", (Central
Virginia Heritage, Vol. 12, No. 1, 1994), 1 - 12.

William Milam