VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2014

Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:16:15 -0400
Seem like to me that I have seen instances where one's "next friend" was a
relative !

In a message dated 7/7/2014 12:09:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Friend  means just that, friend. Not brother. Executor Daniel Brown was
probably not  the witness Daniel Brown.

On Jul 7, 2014, at 8:59 AM,  [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have a Will that was written by a  John Brown in Culpeper Co., VA in
1801, and that John Brown referred to the  Daniel Brown who was the executor
of that Will as "friend." It had seemed  likely, however, that this Daniel
Brown was probably a brother of that John  Brown. Based on the use of the word
"friend," should I now be doubtful that  those two men were truly brothers
after all?

> Also, a Daniel  Brown and a Thomas Brown were witnesses on the above
Will, and I suspect that  this Daniel Brown was the same man who was also the
executor. Could the  executor also be a witness? The Thomas Brown who was a
witness was probably  the known brother of Daniel Brown. We suspect that this
John, Daniel and  Thomas Brown were the known sons with those names of the
older John Brown in  Culpeper (died early-1780s) who had married his cousin
Elizabeth Brown back in  the 1730s or so (this is DNA "Group 10" at the Brown
Genealogy Society DNA  testing project, and that Brown family "traces back"
to the Francis Brown "I"  who left his Will in Essex Co., VA in 1691/1692).