VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2007

From:
Fran Lawson Romine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fran Lawson Romine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:26:46 -0400
I wanted to add a note to my former posting about William Lawson of
Montgomery County vs. the William Lawsons of your inquiry in Lancaster and
Gloucester Counties.  Those Williams have no known connection to the William
Lawson (b. 1731 in Scotland and known as the Scottish Rebel) in Montgomery
County where he is found on the early 1780's tax lists.  Those William Lawsons
were in Lancaster and Gloucester counties at the time of the RW and are
listed in the Virginia Revolutionary Publick Claims by Abercrombie & Slatten as
providing material aid to the cause, for which they received payment after the
Revolutionary War.  Both continue to show up on the tax/land lists of those
counties and cannot be confused with William in Montgomery County.

As stated earlier, I'm putting something together to try to sort out these
Lawsons.  The Lawson Family Heritage Program has done a great deal of
research on William the Scottish Rebel and thus found information on other
William Lawsons during the hunt.  Although it was originally thought William (b.
Scotland, 1731) of Montgomery married Jane Banks, that is now known to be
incorrect.  The Scottish William married a Rebecca MNU, although thought to
possibly be a Travis.  Research is ongoing in that area and we would love to
hear from anyone who has information in that regard.  The children of William
and Rebecca were born in North Carolina but moved to Montgomery Co., VA.

Fran Lawson Romine