VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:44:00 -0400
On re-reading my earlier comment, It might be a good idea to explain a
bit.

Going by logic alone, in a way it's not surprising that anyone who was
lucky enough to have $20,000 - by whatever means, may have had a hard
time producing the correct paperwork to back up their wealth. I have
only a hazy notion of how well local government functioned during that
period, and that's most likely influenced by Hollywood more than
anything else.

Any impression of wrongdoing was entirely accidental. I have a feeling
that anyone who had much in the way of money in the postwar south,
especially if they weren't affluent before the war, were earmarked for
special scrutiny.

It's entirely possible the brother died during the war. I apologize if
my comment sounded like an accusation.

Janice