VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
Langdon Hagen-Long <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Langdon Hagen-Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:02:50 -0800
Fred,
Kentucky County was formed from Fincastle, in 1776.
Fincastle was cut from Botetourt in 1772.  Botetourt
was cut from Augusta, in 1769.  Unfortunately, you
must conduct research in each of the four counties.
If your research subject was there in 1763, the county
was actually called Augusta, at that time.

You can search the indexes of the Library of Virginia,
using the general search.  Then check each potential
data base, because I’m always finding things
separately that I don’t pick up in the general search.
 Look for items closest to 1763 , or the earliest date
you are sure of.  Check the land records and see if
there is an Augusta County patent for your subject.

http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwehave/land/index.htm

Kentucky County only existed until 1780, when it was
divided into Fayette, Jefferson and Lincoln, and
became KY.  It should be listed in Virginia Counties,
since it did exist for 4 years.

Good luck.
Langdon Hagen-Long