VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 16:24:17 -0400
In 1741, my Irish (Scotch-Irish) ancestors purchased land in Orange County (later Augusta, then Rockbridge). Most of the immigrants who purchased land in Borden's Grant (aka, The Scotch Irish Settlement) were from Northern Ireland.

There were two distinctive types of folks from Ireland that immigrated to America.  The Scotch-Irish were from Northern Ireland and were Protestant, predominately Presbyterian.  "The Irish" were from other parts of Ireland and were always Catholic. I think I am correct in saying that most of these people settled further North - New York, New Jersey.