VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2007

From:
Lane Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lane Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:46:40 -0700
Jeanine,
in regards to your question about children being bound out.  I have reviewed
many, many court records specifically for Russell county VA for the late
1700's and 1800 time period.

I am keenly interested in children being bound out because my paternal
several times great grandfather was bound out.  From my research of the
court records I have concluded that the practice of binding children out was
most often done so that the child(ren) could apprentice to a trade.
Sometimes the older children (between 10-14) were asked by the court to
choose who they wished to be bound out to but I only found 2 instances of
this.  Most often the child was bound to a person in the community in the
skilled trades.  In return for the labor that the child provided they were
given food, shelter and (sometimes) clothing.
The families of the children being bound out were poor and in many cases the
children were orphans or the father of the family had died and the mother
could not provide for the children.  The court appointed an Overseer of the
Poor who looked into these cases and reported to the court.  The records
kept by the Overseer were recorded in a book and unfortunately this
particular book has disappeared from the Russell county courthouse.
At any rate I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Lane Alexander