VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:59:49 -0400
Kathleen Much wrote:

>The headstone discussion spurs me to bring up an old controversy over
>Maj. William Gooch of York Co. It has been said that he was the "uncle
>of Governor William Gooch". The governor (1681-1751) was the son of
>Thomas Gooch (d 1688), Alderman of Yarmouth, and Frances Lone (d
>1696). Thomas did have a brother William who d 1655, but that William
>was buried in Mettingham, Suffolk.
>
>Mettingham Parish Register 1653-1787: "William Gooch gentille man the
>sonn of William Esq was buried the first day of January 1655." Could
>this entry refer to Maj. Wm Gooch of VA, whose tombstone in York Co,
>VA, says he died Oct 1655? He might have been buried in England 1 Jan
>1655/6 and commemorated in VA, but it seems unlikely.
>
>Has any more work been done on Lt. Henry Gooch, High Sheriff of York
>Co, who may have been the brother of Maj. Wm? At one point someone on
>this list said, "Lt. Col Henry Gooch is called brother of Major
>William Gooch in the will of Major William Gooch; Lt. Col Henry Gooch
>was executor of the estate", but gave no citation for the location of
>the will. I have been unable to find a will for Maj Wm to confirm this
>claim. If it is true, it seems to be another refutation of the claim
>that Maj Wm was the uncle of Gov Wm--the governor's uncles were
>Richard and William, not Henry and William. How inconsiderate of the
>Williams to die in the same year!
>
>Kathleen Much

These old lines twist and turn.

Lt. Col. Henry Gooch - was in Virginia before 1656 when he was appointed
Justice of the Peace for York County, on the Governor's Counsel in 1657,
Commissioner of York County in 1658 and before 1662 was Sheriff of York Co,.

He was called, "brother" by Major James Goodwin.

Henry Gooch s wife was the widow, Mrs. Millicent ( ) Kinsey, widow of
Robert Kinsey. Because of the above "brother" statement, Millicent has
been listed erroneously in histories as the sister of Maj. James Goodwin
(1621 London  1687 York Co., Va. ). Both the will of the father and
grandfather of Major James Goodwin are available and the baptism of his
9 brothers and sisters are in the parish records of London, Millicent is
of no relation.

In all probability, Rachel ( ), the wife of Major James Goodwin, was the
sister of Henry Gooch. The gravestone of Rachel on Back Creek in York
Co., Va. tells us she was born in 1630 & died 23 May 1666, & had by
Major Goodwin - 5 sons & 2 daughters.. From the design of the tombstone,
divided quarterly, only the arms of her mothers family can be read - the
rest of the stone was to worn - her MOTHER "appears" to be a PORTER of
Warwick Co., England. The surname of Rachel is unknown  (Goodwin
Families in America, compiled by Judge John S. Goodwin, 1897)

Millicent's first husband was Robert Kinsey, after whose death in York
Co., Hugh Kinsey, as "brother and heir", sold land to Henry Gooch in
1656, who transferred Kinsey's property to a merchant Jonathan Newal in
March of 1664. One deed states that the property belonged to Robert
Kinsay late of York Co., which was purchased by Henry Gooch who married
Millicent the relict of Robert Kinsey (York Deeds, pg. 46-7, 1664)

In 1676, Bacon s Rebellion of that year, Gooch along with the rebel Maj.
Whaley, joined. Henry was tried in court in 1677 and fined 6,000 lb. of
meat (or tobacco) for his participation. Henry was survived by one son,
William Gooch.

Jonathan Newell, the merchant mentioned above, is quite interesting, for
he was the first husband of Elizabeth Beale, the only daughter of Col.
Thomas Beale and wife Alice of York Co. Jonathan died in 1672, York Co.,
his widow Elizabeth soon married 2nd, Capt. John Tiplady, Jr. In 1679,
David Newell, brother and heir, of Jonathan Newell, and Capt. John
Tiplady and Elizabeth his wife, the relict of Jonathan Newell sold land -

Elizabeth died before May 1687, leaving two Tiplady daughters, one
Rebecca Tiplady m Peter Goodwin, son of Major James Goodwin & Rachel.

Then there was Jane (Jones) Gooch, whose Gooch husband is a mystery (at
least to me). She was married before 1688, (will of her brother, the
Rev. Rowland Jones). Before 1699, she was Jane Gooch, widow, when she
patented land

In 1701/2 the will of Jane "Gouge" was probated in King William County
naming her children: Henry Gooch, Rowland Gooch, Joan/Jane Peake /Parke,
Elizabeth Dickenson, and "son-in-law" William Gough (step-son) (Kg Wm
Co., Bk 2, pg. 42-44).

Anne