VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

From:
Scott Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:09:21 -0700
Has anyone proven that the same person appears twice on the same page
of the census, only a few houses apart?  I'm sure this is a possibility
(anything's possible with the census), but I'd like to hear accounts of
the same kind of irregularity happening elsewhere.

The 1850 census of Albemarle County (p. 270A) includes these three
contiguous households:

Samuel Wade age 23
Spicie Wade age 17 [as noted below, she was actually more like 19]

David Wade age 50
Louisa Wade age 35 [actually more like 40, per later census records]
6 children listed

Smith Toms age 53
Nancy Toms age 50
Chastine age 31
Wilton age 22
Ann age 19
Naamon age 18
Malinda age 14
Lavinia age 12
2 younger children listed

Samuel is believed to be David's son, and Spicie is believed to be
Smith's son, but neither of these is proven.  Currently, I'm working on
the allegation that Spicie was a daughter of Smith Toms.  Spicie's
maiden name was Toms, per the record of her marriage to Samuel in 1849.
 Smith Toms consented to the marriage without stating his relationship
to Spicie, and Chastine Toms was the bondsman.  According to the 1900
census, Spicie was born July 1831, meaning that she actually would have
been 19 in 1850 — the same age as the Ann listed in Smith's family (the
1860 and 1870 censuses give her a BD of about 1832).  Also, although I
have primary-source marriage records for all of the other children
listed in Smith's family, there is no recorded marriage for Ann.  These
facts lead me to wonder whether Spicie might be the same person as
"Ann."

NOW, PLEASE NO ONE JUMP ON ME AND SAY THAT I CAN'T JUMP TO THIS
CONCLUSION (this has happened in response to past postings).  THIS IS
NOT A CONCLUSION, FOLKS -- JUST A SUSPICION.  AND I'M JUST WONDERING
ABOUT THE LIKELIHOOD THAT THE SUSPICION IS CORRECT.

Has anyone proven that the same person appears twice on the same page
of the census?  If so, could you describe the situation to me, please?

Thanks for reading this far!

Scott