VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2012

From:
Charlie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:37:46 -0400
I believe you mean President Andrew JOHNSON.
In most of the CSA states, federal officials required
oaths of allegiance after the war. Whether that was
required of everyone usually depended on the whim
of the Reconstruction officer in a particular district.
At least, that was the case in parts of NC.
In the case you mention, perhaps someone had
told officials the man was a Reb, and he needed
presidential intervention.
Charlie Weaver, Winston-Salem