VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2008

From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:33:12 -0400
Bill, you are correct about the DNA, however may I please add a CAUTION
in this testing. I assisted Dr. Foster on the Jefferson-Hemings DNA
study and here is the REASON for the match. Dr Foster failed to tell
Nature Journal, Monticello, the media and the public in general that he
was testing a son of Eston Hemings whose family ALWAYS had claimed
descent from "a Jefferson uncle", meaning Randolph, with the Jefferson
DNA......thus it would almost be certain of a match...and there was...NO
surprise. The test confirmed the Eston Hemings long time oral history of
a match through Randolph. So, even with good DNA an accurate
genealogical history is required. DNA does not confirm given names.

Herb Barger
www.tjheritage.org