VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:30:15 -0500
What about the Mormans.  If there are records that they haven't already microfiled, then they should be interested in digitizing them.  And if they are already microfilmed, it is my understanding that they are now busy transferring the images to digitel ones to be put up on the web. They have volunteers indexing records right & left, as I hear.

Of course, that doesn't do anything to protect the originals, I know.  But once the images are on the web, and researchers can be referred there, the wear and tear on the originals should be a lot less.  And as someone who has spent the last 40 years hanging out in Virginia clerk's offices, I do know about the wear and tear, and about clerks who are so overwhelmed with current business that they don't have time and, in some cases, the interest, to care for the priceless original documents.

Anne