VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

From:
Pat Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:58:50 -0500
Hi Janet - I have seen Roanoke Hundred as used by the author Inglis Fletcher
and I will quote from her introduction to Bennett's Welcome dated June 20,
1950 from Bandon Plantation Edenton, North Carolina, as follows:

"Roger Greene's grant of ten thousand acres for one hundred persons (1653)
was sixty nine years after Amadas and Barlow landed on Roanoke Island, abd
the first Assembly in Perquimans was in 1665."

I have always thought that was where the original term derived from.  It had
to do with transportating 100 persons and proving or settling the land.

Some one else may shed more light on this

At 04:50 PM 2/14/02 EST, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>I am hoping that one of you have some sort of a definition (in terms of size,
>etc.) of what a "Hundred", ie Bermuda Hundred, Pocomoke Hundred, etc.   I
>understand that it originally dates from medieval times having to do with the
>number of males that could be available to fight, but was once also given a
>rather long winded definition based strictly on size.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Janet Hunter
>
>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe please see the instructions at
>http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html

Pat Mitchell of Bloomington, IN