VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

From:
Scott Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 05:14:54 -0800
I've heard that the 1853+ county death registers are very unreliable as
to the names of the parents of the deceased.  The death register entry
for my ancestor, Nancy, in Albemarle Co. (1864) says that her parents
were John and Mary Martin.  Other evidence, however, indicates that her
father was one Shadrack Martin (complicated by the fact that Shadrack
also used the surname Henderson).

Based on the experience of list members with this aspect of the death
registers, would you conclude that the death register is probably
incorrect as to the name of Nancy's father (there being no other
evidence, as far as I have found, that her father was named John), or
is it more likely that the evidence needs to be reconciled, possibly by
concluding that Nancy had both a father and a stepfather?

Thank you.

Scott Simpson