VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2006

Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:11:30 -0600
I have been following the subject topic with interest, and had hoped
that someone would bring up the fact that marrying a spouse's sibling
was an "issue" in Virginia long before the 1792 (?) law that Paul
Drake (and others) cited.  For example, there's the case of the widow
of Francis Poythress about whom John Bodie wrote [Historical Southern
Families, Vol. IV, p. 31]:

        "Francis Poythress m. Rebecca Coggin, daughter of John Coggin.
As Rebecca Poythress, she was granted 1000 acres of land in Charles
City 28 April 1692, said land being late in the tenure of Edward
Ardington.   She later married (2) Charles Bartholomew, the widower of
her sister.  This resulted in court action, as according to the
ecclesiastical law in effect in Virginia at that time, this
constituted an incestuous marriage."

The above case seems to be referring to the same issue, and it was
MUCH earlier than the 1792 law.  Or am I misreading the implications?

Lou Poole, Richardson, TX