VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2006

From:
Carol Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:26:33 -0400
Good Morning,
This is my first post to the VA-ROOTS list even though I have been reading
them for awhile.

I am replying to shed some light on the Docupen, I was able to try out the
B & W version at a little local tech show, done by local computer,
electronic stores (Mostly portable gadgets).
I saw this little scanner and was in amazement at it. I have currently a
pen scanner that just scans lines of text, which is great for small
paragraphs in newspapers, etc so I was thrilled to see one that would do a
whole page.

Keep in mind that this is a scanner, and its main purpose is to scan a page
of typed/printed text such as a word doc.
To do this, it does only take a few seconds and basic text depending on how
much is on a page, this scanner will probably hold what it says it will
(100 or so, i think)
Any pages with graphics, will take longer to scan and will not hold many
pages due to the fact that the graphics will take more memory.

Now in using it at the courthouse, Arhcives, etc, again will be great for
text but understand that even if they will allow you to put something on an
old marriage book for example to scan that the Docupen will scan that as a
graphic. Will take longer than a few seconds and will not hold as much.
The Docupen works best on paper that is flat or a book that lays flat so
you most likely will not have a smooth surface if you try to scan something
out of an old book at the archives or somewhere.

Scanning text, then uploading to your computer, the text looks pretty good,
anything with a graphic, was o.k. but not as great as a even a small
inexpensive flatbed scanner.
So I am not sure how a page from an old marriage book would look.
I have been very tempted to purchase the b&w version but saw the color one
is available so will most likely hold out for that one.
As I am heavily into genealogy all the gadgets to make my research easier I
am always interested in.
The Docupen in my opinion would be great for your genealogy research
projects where you might be reading printed books but if you are looking
for a quick way to get copies from old handwritten books without paying for
copying, then as one person suggested a digital camera is probably your
best bet as most places will allow you to take digital pictures.

This is just my opinion on the Docupen based on my test with it and whether
you purchase it should be entirely your decision. It was a fun little
gadget and is small enough to fit in your purse, briefcase, etc.

Hope it helps,
Carol