VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:40:26 -0600
It was never intended by Ms. Nugent to set forth WHEN those passengers arrived or how those rights were obtained; only that the headrights of those named were used by THAT named patentee.  There was a BRISK trade in headrights by entrepreneurs, ships' masters, and other speculators on both sides of the ocean.  By 1650 "loop holes" had developed in the system, the most corruptive of original purpose of which was the fact that headrights could be sold, traded, mortgaged, passed by will, given away, abandoned for a new "right", renewed if the full term had not been served, and taken by legal process.

My own Owen Griffith, as was VERY COMMON in the 17th century, witnessed his headright sold and used for patents twice while he was yet living and once in 1703 at which time he had been dead for 4 years.  Then too, if a servant died before completing his term of servitude, the owner could claim and additional headright for another 50 acres.  The  only - ONLY - fact that may be with trust inferred from the patents records is that the named person made application in the "old country" and was accepted for passage as a servant.  Since the headright legally was earned at that bargain, that right continued EVEN if that passenger died at sea on the way here.   One seaman claimed 17 headrights (as I recall) for having served on vessels moving to and fro England that number of times; his theory being that he had indeed "transported" himself that number of times and thus was entitled to one "right of 50 acres" for each trip.  He must have sold those rights, since he seems not to have appeared in the subsequent land transfer records.

Sorry to disrupt your thinking.  You might want to see my several articles on the subject in "NGS Newsletter" a few years back, and in "Heritage Quest", also a few years ago.  Good luck.  Paul