VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 22:05:01 -0500
John Maxey, Jr. of Powhatan County, VA was my step-ggg-grandfather.  He
married my ggg-grandmother, Rebecca Hooper Cox, the widow of Edward Cox, son
of Matthew and Rachel Watkins Cox of Buckingham County, VA.  Rebecca was the
daughter of Colonel George and Elizabeth Cooke Hooper of Buckingham County,
Virginia.

I had requested the death announcement of John Maxey, Jr. and just received
it.  Thought I would share it with those interested.

Published April 29th, 1834 in the *Richmond Enquirer*:

 "Died, on the 22d inst. Mr John Maxey, jun, of Powhatan county, aged about
63 or 4 years, leaving a widow and 6 or 8 children to deplore his lose- Mr.
M was a prudent, industrious man, and an excellent provider for himself and
family, and has left them in comfortable circumstances.  The writer of this
understood that Mr. M. ate his breakfast with his family on Sunday, and by 3
o'clock on Monday morning he was a corpse.  He had been a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church for many years, and his house was a home for its
ministors and friends of all societies of the human family."

My best to all.

Shirley Cox Schroeder

--
A thought for your day…

"Sometimes it feels like I can't catch my breath between life's lessons,
running and straining to keep up. But if I hold tight, buoyed by God's
strength, I can fly."

Heidi Waldrop Bay