VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2006

From:
"Thomas L. O'Dell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:19:53 EDT
We have an Epson Ink Jet printer thT will print about 20 B& W pages a  minute
but you have to flip the pages over to print the back side and it is easy  to
get them mixed up so that the backs are not on the correct front page. The
printer has 4 individual cartridges that can be replaced as they become empty.
A  warning light flashes when a color is down to 1/8 cartridge. That will
still  print at least 80 B&W pages. colored text prints at same speed as black
text.  Speeds and ink usage vary for images and pictures, depending on the
resolution setting of the images and pictures. The speed for these items is set
automatically but can be manually changed to print faster or slower. It has
been  my experience that changing speed from the one set by the software results
in a  lower quality print. Speed and ink usage also vary depending on the type
of  paper being used. For general purpose printing of mixed media documents,
I find  that brilliant white ink jet paper produces a very satisfactory
document with  very sharp color charts and pictures. Epson has a back to school sale
on most  printers right now and you can check out what they have at  _Epson
America, Inc. - Printers_
(http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Printers.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes)  .

By the way, I am not an Epson representative, just a very satisfied
customer. The main problem that I have with them is that their ink is too  expensive.
I believe that in is about $100 for one cartridge of each color and a  black
cartridge. The printer will not print any color if any one of the four
cartridges is empty or not installed. I found a place through BellSouth to order
generic cartridges much cheaper.-about $60.00 for 3 of each color and two of the
larger black cartridges.It may not be as light resistant or fade resistant
with  age but it seems to work well for the present.

Tom O'Dell

Huntsville, AL