VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
KAREN DALE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KAREN DALE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:57:41 -0700
Thank you, Elizabeth--I love it when you check in here with your expertise!  You use "evaluate" often, and I am always struck by the fact that so many people fail to evaluate evidence--"its characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses." Too often they take second-hand material at face value--no evaluation involved. I've done that too, of course, and not long ago someone sent me the page from a marriage book that flatly rebutted the information I had received from someone who should have checked that source--and didn't. We also have to evaluate the skills of the people who give us information.

Often people fail to evaluate external information--dates, locations, the historical events of the day, migration patterns, etc. I read these files that have one child born in GA and the next one in MD and immediately red flags go up. No sense of how migration patterns work. Or I read that So&So was born in Indiana in 1791. Uhhh--doubt it. No state by that name in 1791. So I go back and look at the census and sure enough the original says MD and Ancestry misread it, and everyone else took it as gospel. Etc. What the gatherers don't understand is just how many, many diverse factors are in play in analyzing and evaluating evidence.  The easy part is finding various sorts of evidence. The hard part is deciding what it probably means! Thanks for reminding us.

Karen