VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2009

From:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 19:09:16 -0700
As exciting as it is to have the wonderful tools available on the internet,
I often wonder if
the many untrained wannabe genealogists playing
copy-copy-paste-publish-and-share
haven't taken more from our passion for genealogy than has been gained.
Seems  fewer new
 researchers are even aware of the simplest standards of research, not
knowing that
be it genealogy,  history or biology, there are some common "rules."  I'd
almost --well, almost--
be willing to give up my online connection  for good, old snail-mail.
Actually, many of us had
well developed circle of researchers who worked together.   It just took
longer.

This is in no way a complaint about the newcomer who is interested in
researching family
ancestors and is willing, even eager, to learn how to go about it.  I was
there once.

--Tom