VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

From:
Jo Ann Gile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jo Ann Gile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:43:01 -0500
 "the 2nd wife's oldest daughter after the first wife, using her name in
full".  Any takers on that one?
Sure'd be a lot of mad 2nd wives if we did that today...

 -Bev Brooks Cavender

 Bev the major difference between their attitude and today's second wives
might be that the first wife most likely was dead when he married the second
wife.  Why would you object to naming a daughter after the memory of a dead
woman?  This might help the relationship with the children of the first
wife's.  After all harmony is important in a family.  Many times the second
wife was a sister to the first wife or a close friend.

I have no problem understanding why a second wife would name a daughter
after the first wife.  A dead wife does not cause trouble and never returns.

Jo Ann Fairbanks Gile
Genealogy Web-Site    www.casstel.net/~jagile/