VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:45:47 -0600
I presume you have seen this listing
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~clanboyd/dar3.htm
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 8:26 AM
  Subject: Portsmouth history

  I could use some help.  Does anyone know of a Portsmouth LIst like this?

  I am still trying to make a connection between my gr3grandfather, Joshua
  David Reed (b 1820, m 1841, d1885 buried in Elmwood) to the James Reed family of
  Portsmouth. James Reed according to the records I found in a brief lunchtime
  visit to DAR was a Revoutionary soldier of some level.  (I distinctly remember
  as a child my maternal grandmother pointing to a Revolutionary Record of a
  REED ancestor, framed on hanging on the wall of their Ghent home in Norfolk.
  None of my other cousins remember this and the house was destroyed for
  redevelopment years back.)  According to the DAR Interment Records James Reed has a
  family plot in Portsmouth with wife, son Washington (and some other children) and
  a Joshua Davis Reed (born around 1845) who owned a business there under "JD
  Reed". Either JD or Washington Reed was a former mayor of Portsmouth. Everyone
  in the family plot lists on the Interment records their parents names, except
  JD Reed. On the Joshua David Reed (b 1820) side and residing in Norfolk none
  of his records list parents. But in the 1860 Census for Norfolk Joshua David
  Reed lists in his household a son, Joshua age 16. This son appears no where
  else but then a Joshua Davis Reed appears (I believe it is the 1870 census I
  found him there) across the river in Portsmouth apprenticing for Washington
  Reed in his firm. Anyone know the Portsmouth history of mayors or the List
  access or something that may help? Probabilities are fun but I like to see the
  actuals.

  Katie Holland
  Silver Spring, Maryland
  just outside Washington, DC