VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2008

Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:14:15 -0400
Thanks for your reply Bill, let me see if I understand you
correctly. You stated that DNA testing gives you over 99%
odds that somewhere within 16 generations back that you
share at least one male relationship with the group of
Davidsons in Goochland County (and James City before
that) but it doesn't tell you who they are or their relation
to your family line, only that they are in there somewhere,
right?

I'm glad that you were so satisfied with the results
of your DNA testing and I'm trying to understand how
it works. Does the DNA testing stand alone in making
conclusions or is it combined with proofs of the standard
nature as in written records? I would think that the two
methods of proofs should in almost all cases compliment
each other. Or in cases where there are no written proofs
DNA can fill in the blanks to an extent such as yours in
at least letting you have proof of 'some' connection.

I had to laugh when you wrote...I sometimes think that some
"genealogists" are simply afraid that the results will prove that much of
what they have believed (and boldly stated) for the last 30 years is
wrong....but the truth, however painful, is all any of us should really
want.....That is so true Bill !! Not just with DNA proofs but with
written records also. Some people when confronted with proofs
contrary towards their work build their own brick wall of denial
and will consider you a history revisionist. It's a shame because
we should all be on the same page in seeking the truth.

Thanks again and God Bless, Vicki Ford