VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:19:49 -0400
Joy,

Paul has given you excellent advice, however, please be advised that while
the Charlotte County court order books are available to the public, the back
up documentation is not.  The "loose" records have never been indexed and,
truthfully, no one really knows what is there(they won't let you look
either!).   According to Stuart Fallen, Clerk of the Court, they are just
beginning to sort through and possibly index the 238 years worth of
documents they have.  That said, if and when this is completed there will
still be no guarantee that the documents will ever be available to the
public.  Trust me, this annoys the bejeebies out of everyone --- especially
those of us who live here.  I will keep the list posted if this scenario
ever changes.

Kathy Liston
Charlotte County