VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2012

From:
Alice Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2012 16:48:32 -0400
Where in Kentucky did Cochran move to?

Alice Malone

Charlottesville, VA

-----Original Message-----
From: Winston Cochrane <[log in to unmask]>
To: VA-ROOTS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Aug 7, 2012 4:10 pm
Subject: [VA-ROOTS] Newcastle, Hanover Co., VA

My family's immigrant, David Cochran, came from Glasgow, Scotland about
1760, and was a merchant in Newcastle, dying there at age 52 in 1792. He
married Lucy Winston (1760-1802) in 1774 and had 3 of 8 children reach
adulthood. His son, Dr. William Cochran (1779-1853), moved to Nelson Co., VA
in 1803 after his mother's death, and then on to KY in 1811. I would like to
find out all I can about the history and the residents of extinct Newcastle
so I can put together a story on my ancestors' life while living there at
such a key historical time and location. About all I know is where Newcastle
was located on the Pamunkey river, that it was a shipping port at the time,
and the VA historical marker on US 360 about Patrick Henry's "Call to Arms".
I have also seen mention of a book "Town of Newcastle a Lost Town",
publisher and date unknown. As I live in OH and cannot travel to VA, I would
appreciate suggestions as to where and how I could acquire information.
Thanks very much.

Winston Cochrane
Maineville, OH