VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2010

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:24:22 -0500
This thread is beginning to get a little long but I want to share a few
things with those of you who have been kind enough to write.

Frederick Co, VA was founded in 1743; prior to that it was part of Orange
Co. and Orange had been cut out of Spotsylvania in 1734.  We are dealing
with very early records.  Same land with the possibility the records could
be in any of the three counties.

T. K. Cartmell wrote a book:  Shenandoah Pioneers and Their Descendants
...published in 1909.  In it he states "within 4 miles west of Winchester we
find what is locally known as Chambers Mountain, so called as being a
section of mountain land granted to John Chambers by the Governor and
Council."

I have not found this grant. All I have for John:
1.   Will Book I: "John Chambers, John Frost Adm. of will, 8 Jun 1748.  With
Richard Morgan and Robert Worthington witnesses.
2.  Book 3, p. 44 - his appraisal dated 26 Mar  1762  valued by his
neighbors
3.  Book 3, p. 114 - his settlement date 1762 - 2 Mar  1763 admin. by Wm.
Chambers who later received Fairfax land grants for about 600 acres
beginning in 1735/36 on Little North Mountain, essentially the same land
area as John's.

I am also intrigued that with the listing of only thirteen items for John in
his inventory, one was what appears to be 3/4 yd of scarlet cloth.  Does
this have any significance to anyone.....scarlet cloth among the powder
horn, tomhawk, cage, chest, and other primitive items?

Thanks for listening.
M.