VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
JB Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JB Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:58:37 -0500
> Being in a room with all those old records and actually having your
> hands on the old books is an experience in and of itself. Microfilm
> isn't even close, though a godsend for those who live far away.
>
> I swear there are vibes coming off those old volumes. Sometimes I get
> chills!

I use the courthouse in Montgomery Co., VA and all the all original records
back to 1775 are there including a land grant to George Washington.  All you do
is go over and pull whatever book you need, no sign-in, no restrictions.  Same
with Botetourt Co. and Augusta Co. the last times I was at those courthouses.

John Garrett