VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2009

Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:07:45 EDT
Could someone point me in the right direction for "the story" or process of
acquiring a land grant around the time of 1779 to 1783.

Does the story go like this?
I am living on land I bought in southwest Virginia.   I want more land.
To receive a land grant do I apply to the local government or the
commonwealth of Virginia.   How do I apply?   Do I travel to Williamsburg, write a
letter, hire a representative or lawyer?     And when receiving a land grant do
I get on a horse and travel to Williamsburg, stay at a local site and hang
out waiting to receive my document?   How am I notified when I receive a land
grant?   Who is my audience with when I receive the document, a clerk, the
govenor?   Do I receive an actual document to take home?

If I am a woman, am I allowed to do all these things?

Twyla Edwards
Prillaman Family Genealogy
315.336.1039