VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2000

From:
Jim White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 13:23:38 -0500
It's not accurate--1796 is wrong, and the "state" was never approved by
Congress,
 but it's still a fascinating piece of history.  From 1784 to early
1788, the people of (now Tennessee)
organized as the State of Franklin to protest the fact, among other
things, that North Carolina didn't allow any representation from the
area.  Since the organization was without sanction from Congress, it was
not a state of the United States, and the "state" disorganized when the
North Carolina militia defeated the "Governor" John Sevier's forces.
The former "governor," who was arrested for treason in 1788, was elected
to congress from NC in 1789.  Sevier and the "State" of Franklin are the
subject of a
thesis at http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nc/wnc6.htm

--
Jim White

*** Nothing I say is a legal opinion unless that's what you're paying me
for. ***

Home page:  http://www.jeem.net/
Genealogy books:  http://www.jeem.net/Books.html
F&SF books currently in the stores: http://www.jeem.net/sf-fant.html